With so many electronics competing for your time and attention these days, sometimes it’s easy to forget how to play good old-fashioned board games with your family. Making your board game collection family-friendly can be a challenge since many games that are geared toward older kids have a more mature theme. Fortunately, many popular board games are not strictly for grown-ups.
Family-friendly games are those the whole family can enjoy. They create a space where everyone gets a chance to be social, have fun, and bond. Family-friendly games, also called party games, are meant to encourage interaction and group participation. They’re good for kids of all ages, from toddlers to grandparents, and the best part about them is that they don’t have an age limit. They can be played both indoors and out, so you can enjoy them no matter what the weather.
So, keep reading to find out which games are perfect for the whole family.
- Word Squares – Word squares is a fun card game that caters to all ages. Word squares are all about making words using the letters in a phrase. One person will be the “scrambler” and will read the phrase, while everyone else forms words from the letters in the phrase. The scrambler writes down each word and sets the cards aside. The scrambler then flips one card at a time and keeps flipping until a person gets a word. Points are earned when each player forms a word, and the person with the most points at the end will win.
- The Sentence Game – The Sentence Game is an interactive board game for the whole family. Players take turns rolling the dice and placing words from the sentencing grid on the board. The words must be placed in the correct sequence, as the words create sentences, and sentences must follow the rules.
- Scattergories – Scattergories is a word and trivia game that has players answer questions from different categories. Your answers can be words, letters, numbers, or phrases. You can lose points by guessing incorrectly, so choosing the right answers is essential.
- Who Am I? – Who Am I? is one of the most popular games to play as a family. Even kids who are older than six years old love playing this game. The game is usually played in pairs or groups of three. Each player is given a sheet with several clues about a person. They have to find another person whose identity is similar to theirs; for example, “The person whose birthday is January 15 is usually bright and cheerful.” In the first part of the game, players don’t have to guess a particular person. They just write down as many answers as they think could be right. Then, they pass their sheets to their partners. The first person to guess their partner’s identity wins the game.
- Walmart BINGO – The holiday season is here, and for many, that means getting together with loved ones and sharing the joy of Christmas. One of the best ways to bring everyone together is with a game of BINGO. Walmart has some great BINGO games that the entire family can enjoy, so be sure to look at their selection before committing to just one game.
- MOVIE ID – is one of the coolest family games out there. What I love about Movie ID is that it really engages everyone, even people that may be hard to play games with. It’s one of those games that doesn’t require or rely much on the “skill” of any of the players.
As a family, you spend a lot of time together. Whether at home, at a friend’s house, or at church, you’re together almost as often as you’re not. And while this constant togetherness is a blessing, it can also be a bit of a chore. Whether it’s the kids fighting, the sibling rivalry, or the parents bickering over something trivial, sometimes you just need to take a break. And one of the best ways to take some time for yourself is to have a good old-fashioned family game night. Festivals like Christmas can be an ideal time to forget about the other responsibility and spend some quality time with your family. All you need to do is get some Christmas Board Games so that the whole family can enjoy playing those. Don’t forget to get some snacks as these games can last for a long time.
Playing games at home with your family is fun, relaxing, and a great way to spend quality time together. But which games can you actually play with your family without watching the clock? The games listed in this article are all recommendations worth looking into, especially if you want to try something new.
So, what are you waiting for? Start playing these games today!